Hilton Alexandria Old Town Hotel in Alexandria, Virginia
October 16-17, 2017
The draft agenda for the upcoming Low-Level Radioactive Waste Forum (LLW Forum) meeting has been released and posted to the organization’s website at www.llwforum.org. The meeting will be held at the Hilton Old Town Alexandria Hotel in Alexandria, Virginia on October 16-17, 2017.
As a reminder, the discount rate hotel room block for the meeting closes in just four weeks on September 29, 2017, unless the block reaches capacity in advance of the deadline. Currently, there is only very limited space remaining in the discount room block. Accordingly, interested stakeholders are encouraged to register and make hotel reservations for the meeting at your earliest convenience.
In terms of planning and making travel arrangements, please note that the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) stated at the recent Organization of Agreement States (OAS) annual meeting that the Federal Register notice on proposed revisions to the 20.2002 alternative disposal guidance is expected to be issued in late August or early September 2017. NRC staff stated that a public meeting is tentatively planned at agency headquarters for October 18, 2017—the day after the conclusion of the LLW Forum meeting.
State and compact officials should also note that there will be a separate, closed-session meeting only for state and compact members of the LLW Forum’s Board of Directors and their designated representatives on Tuesday afternoon (October 17, 2017) from 2:30 – 5:00 p.m. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss timely and relevant issues of common interest; coordinate greater involvement and outreach by states and compacts; and, address planning issues related to the future direction and funding of LLW Forum. All state and compact Directors, Alternates and their designated representatives are invited and encouraged to attend the Tuesday afternoon planning meeting.
The Disused Sources Working Group (DSWG)—including members, staff, organizational liaisons and invited guests—will meet on Wednesday (October 18) from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Southeast Compact Commission for Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management and the Central Interstate Low-Level Radioactive Waste Compact Commission are co-sponsoring the meeting.
As a new option for interested stakeholders, a registration form may be completed and submitted online.
The following is a list of agenda topics for the meeting:
- panel discussion/interactive dialogue re regulatory oversight of oil and gas operations—management and disposition of the resultant radiological byproduct material;
- panel session re decommissioning of nuclear power plants—regulatory requirements and updates, operator experiences and future planning considerations;
- development and implementation of a program re source reuse and reutilization;
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) regulatory program emerging issues including rulemaking and guidance development; management of very low-level radioactive waste; and, program budget request;
- NRC’s proposed revisions re guidance for alternative disposal of low-activity waste;
- IMPEP process and non-common indicator re low-level radioactive waste disposal program;
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) activities and updates including the development of new federal guidance for dose and risk assessment;
- addressing cybersecurity issues and concerns at U.S. nuclear power plants;
- emergency planning for radiological incidents and nuclear terrorism;
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) activities and updates including path forward for the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) and transuranic waste across the DOE complex; waste management forecasts, planning and prioritization; and, next steps re Greater-than-Class C environmental impact statement;
- Category 3 source security and accountability re-evaluation;
- Mount Sinai experience in reducing and removing the risk of malicious use of radioactive materials;
- pilot Source Collection and Threat Reduction (SCATR) project re disposal of high-activity cesium irradiator;
- preparation and submittal of report to Congress by the Radiation Source Protection and Security Task Force;
- reporting and tracking of commercial low-level radioactive waste disposal;
- NRC import and export waste and licensing activities;
- radium contamination at non-military sites across the country;
- updates and activities re the Waste Control Specialists commercial and federal low-level radioactive waste disposal facility in Andrews County, Texas; and,
- updates and activities re the Clive low-level radioactive waste disposal facility in Tooele County, Utah.
Officials from states, compacts, federal agencies, nuclear utilities, disposal operators, brokers/processors, industry, and other interested parties are encouraged to attend the spring 2017 LLW Forum meeting.
LLW Forum meetings are an excellent opportunity to stay up-to-date on the most recent and significant developments in the area of low-level radioactive waste management and disposal. They also offer an important opportunity to network with other government and industry officials and to participate in decision-making on future actions and endeavors affecting low-level radioactive waste management and disposal.
Location and Dates
The fall 2017 LLW Forum meeting will be held on Monday, October 16 (9:00 am – 6:00 p.m.) and Tuesday, October 17 (8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.) at the Hilton Alexandria Old Town Hotel, which is located at 1767 King Street in Alexandria, Virginia.
Located in the historic, vibrant King Street neighborhood, the Hilton Alexandria Old Town hotel is one of the most convenient hotels in Alexandria, VA for business and leisure travelers visiting Washington, DC. The hotel is just steps away from King Street Metro station and close to Reagan National Airport. Downtown DC attractions and government buildings are minutes away by Metro.
All persons must pre-register for the meeting and pay any associated registration fees in order to be allowed entry. Registration forms are needed in order to ensure that you receive a meeting packet and name badge. Accordingly, interested attendees are asked to please take a moment to complete the registration form at your earliest convenience and return it to the Southeast Compact Commission at the mailing or e-mail address listed at the bottom of the form.
The meeting is free for up to two individuals representing members of the LLW Forum. Additional and non-member registration is $500, payable by check only to the “LLW Forum, Inc.” (Credit card payments are not accepted.)
Persons who plan to attend the meeting are strongly encouraged to make their hotel reservations and send in their registration forms as soon as possible, as we have exceeded our block at the last few meetings.
A limited block of hotel rooms has been reserved for Sunday, October 15th and Monday, October 16th at the rate of $231.00 plus tax per night (for single/double occupancy), $239 plus tax (king), $251 triple and $271 quad). The same rates have been extended to three days prior and three days post the meeting dates.
To make a reservation, please call (703) 647-2035 (Group Code is OLW). Reservations may also be made at the website at:
The deadline for reserving a room at the discounted rate is September 29, 2017.
Transportation and Directions
From Reagan National Airport via the Metro, the hotel is located next to the King Street Metro Station, accessible by the Blue and Yellow lines and only two stops from Reagan National Airport. Directions from other airports are given on the Hilton website, www.hiltonalexandria.com. Taxi fares are typically around $20.00.
If you have questions or require additional information, please contact Todd D. Lovinger, Esq.—Executive Director of the LLW Forum and Project Director of the Disused Sources and Part 61 Working Groups (DSWG/P61WG)—at (754) 779-7551 or at LLWForumInc@aol.com.